Saturday, March 1, 2008

Special Needs Kids Dance

Saturday March 1, 2008

Friends, I am writing this to tell you about a wonderful group of teenagers that I had the opportunity to spend some time with Friday night. The guys and gals of the Junior Civitan clubs from Huntsville and Grissom High Schools hosted a dance for the special needs students that attend those two schools. Also sponsoring the dance were the members of the Huntsville Civitans and the Friendship Civitans, a group of special needs adults. Everybody had a great time and I am not sure who had the biggest grins on their faces...the students or the parents of the students. I do know this, the Junior Civitan members were great the way they paired off with the special needs students and adults and had them dancing and singing for two solid hours.Believe me when I say, based on the way these teenagers interacted and genuinely cared about their guests, the fuure of America is in some very capable, caring and compassionate hands. My stepson Jeff, who is autistic, had so much fun I was afraid we weren't going to be able to get him to leave. He commandeered one of the microphones and sang along with every song that was played. Jacque and I were grinning so big our faces hurt.

I can't begin to thank the young ladies and young men of the Junior Civitan Clubs enough for their positive and enthusiastic attitudes and the way they accept and encourage the special needs students. My hats off to you, Junior Civitan Clubs of Huntsville and Grissom High Schools.

No comments: