Thursday, March 6, 2008

Cut The Wild Onions

Thursday March 5th, 2008

Ok, I guess it's that time again, at least based on the number of e-mails and phone calls I have received in the last couple of weeks. What am I talking about? Cutting the wild onions, of course.
Yes, it is time to cut the wild onions so that they don't take over your yard later this spring. According to the "Old Farmer's Almanac" the days to cut the wild onions for March are this Saturday and Sunday...the 8th and 9th.
Based on the "Old Farmer's Almanac's" astrological charts, there are certain times that are best for just about everything, from planting, destroying pests and weeds, harvesting, ...to even getting your haircut. Back some years ago, my dad, Grady, started announcing the days to cut the wild onions. This has become such a tradition that some folks get real anxious if I forget to start talking about the dates a month or two ahead. The idea is that cutting the onions on the days when the moon is in the sign of the heart means that they will bleed to death and not come back. Now, whether it works or not is up for discussion, I know some folks that swear by it and some that swear at it. Notice I gave credit to the "Old Farmer's Almanac"...that way if it doesn't work, HEY, WHAT CAN I SAY...I just read their charts.
Anyway, once again, the dates are this weekend...the 8th and 9th so happy cutting. Oh, by the way, there will also be a couple of days in April to cut the onions, but supposedly those days don't work as well. I will include those dates a little closer to April so there is no confusion, in the meantime, good luck.

No comments: