Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Pre-surgery update

Hi everyone...I hope you all are doing great. How did you like last week's shows. Pretty interesting weren't they. Gloria Arthur at Bank Street Antique Mall knows so much about antiques and really enjoys having folks come by and chat with her about all the neat things in her store. We could have spent all day in there and not covered everything there is to see. Whether you are into antiques or not, a visit to her place on Bank Street in Decatur is a lot of fun.

Jimmy Sparks hydroponics farm is truly something to see. Can you imagine 17,000 strawberry plants, hundreds of tomato plants, green beans, lettuce, watermelons, cukes, etc. on about an acre and a half! If you haven't gone out his place on Esslinger Dr. you really need to drop by and pick up some great tasting vegetables. Believe me, his tomatoes are out of this world and the strawberries are so sweet, you don't need to add sugar. What amazes me is fresh vegetables and fruit all the way up to the first frost! If you are a tomato lover like me, that means pure eating heaven all the way into October...Outstanding! J. Sparks Farms is located on Esslinger, about a quarter mile off Cherry Tree...it is easy to find and he is open every day except Sunday and Monday.

Friday we were in Decatur at the historic Princess Theatre and featured Country Music star Chris Young. Chris has had three hits and is working on another cd at this time. He's truly a nice guy and very talented. I hope you got the chance to see his show, if you missed it, try to see him somewhere else..he's that good.

Monday we were at Constitution Village in Huntsville. It is the location where alabama's first constitution was written. It is a great place to take the kids to learn about the history of Alabama and Huntsville as well as see how life was in the early 1800's. Be sure and take the Trolley tours on Saturday as they go through the Historic part of Huntsville and your guide, Jacque Procter Reeves, is an award winning author and highly regarded historian and story teller.

Monday was my last show for a few weeks...I am having surgery on my back Wednesday the 1st. I am having one of my vertebrae fused because it is damaging the nerve that runs down my left leg. My goal is to be back at work by the MDA Telethon...actually, if possible, I will be back sooner. The doctor, Gil Aust, says it is up to me and how much pain I can handle while standing...I will keep you posted as to how my recovery is coming along and believe me, I will be missing all of you. I guess I will see you here until I can see you on tv...please take care and keep watching the morning show...
I Love You All,
Robert

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I pray you are doing ok with your sugery.I,ve watched you and your father Grady for many years.Just do what the dr. says and dont over do yourself.I know from experience as i have had 3 back surgery,s.Get well soon. Hazel Kyle Athens Al.

Irene said...

Hi Robert, i am a student and am doing some research on hydroponics. How can i reach Jimmy sparks hydroponic farm. Do they have a website? Thanks. lytonpervin@yahoo.com